Peer Review Assessment Tool
Peer Review Impact Guidelines
A service of the
Peer Review Pilot Project 2008/2009
In 2008, a national pilot project was started by the Ministry of Education to test national implementation of the European Peer Review procedure within the framework of QIBB, the Austrian quality initiative in initial VET. öibf was responsible for the coordination and management of the project.
The project comprised
- the preparation and conduct of seven Peer Review in VET schools and colleges from all over Austria,
- the adaptation of the Peer Review tools (forms, checklists etc.) to QIBB
- the training of the Peers
- the establishment of mentoring activities to make use of experienced Austrian Peers and Peer Review Facilitators
- networking between the pilot schools and colleges
- monitoring and quality assurance of the Peer Reviews.
Activities and achievements
- Internal preparation: After a kick-off workshop in May 2008, the pilot schools and colleges started the internal preparation of the Peer Review. This included decision-making on the quality areas to be reviewed and the distribution of responsibilities for the Peer Review within the institution. The pilot schools also concluded a formal contract with the project coordinator.
- Recruiting Peers: In addition, the pilot schools were asked to identify suitable Peers in their own institution as well as in other schools. Potential Peers were then asked to submit Peer Applications.
- Workshop for Peer Review Facilitators: All Peer Review Facilitators were prepared for their tasks in a joint one-day workshop in early October 2008.
- Mentoring: Seven experienced Peers res. Peer Review Facilitators who had taken part in one of the two previous European Peer Review projects were selected as Mentors, three of them became active. A briefing workshop for potential Mentors was held in early September to ensure a common level of information of all Mentors and to clarify tasks and responsibilities. Their task was primarily to assist the schools in the organisation of the Peer Visit.
- Peer Training: Peer Trainings were held for the Peer Teams of the pilot schools in November 2008 and January 2009. The training followed the European Peer Training Curriculum.
- Peer Visits: The seven two-day Peer Visits were carried out between March and April 2009.
- Project wrap-up: A final meeting of all VET providers and Peers wer held at the beginning of October 2009. The meeting served to exchange and assess experiences in order to support the further improvement of Peer Review implementation in Austria.